Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Manifesto

Manifesto.

I want to not hate Mondays.
Or waking up on weekdays.

I don't want to live for the weekend.
And post Garfield memes about how I'm glad it's Friday.

I want to know I'm working towards something more than a paycheck.
Or, a raise, a title, a higher tax bracket.

Two weeks a year to fit a South African trip into.
With 3 days each way included, just to recover. 9 days to connect and breath.

Nope, that's not what I want.

Call it the hopeless idealism of a millennial.
Call it what you want.

It's not that I don't want to work hard.
I want to work really hard (and I will)

I just want to know that it's possible. Just tell me I can do it.

Or tell me I'm crazy. But rather tell me I'm brave.

This is by no means supposed to be a poem, it's just what I've been thinking about these days and it's shaping my decisions.  


5 comments:

  1. I'm thinking the same things and get very upset when I feel like I'm being sucked into this "normality and responsibility". I want something different, but I don't want it to make me guilty, I want it to make me feel accomplished when I go to bed and feel excited and motivated in the mornings. I need to find what it is and then be brave to just do it.
    Good luck to you! You can do it, Lanette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it. It's hard and scary and exciting and the most natural thing in the world. It might take some time to figure out and boat loads of hard work, patience, and perseverance, but I know you can do it. For reals. You got this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living for the weekend is actualy quite a hard habit to break, especially because that is what the world tells us to do. We do it, our collegues encourages it. Social media gives it a nudge. (It's almost like bad mother-in-law jokes.) Somehow we need to shut out all the outside voices, realise that what they say are not applicable to us, and start to give each day the purpose it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lanette! Long time no...anything. My fault, I'm a bad friend. But I still read this and love you! This post reminds me of a book I just bought - Finding your Element by Sir Ken Robinson. While I haven't read it yet, I heard an interview with the author (who's brilliant and hilarious), and it seems like it may help you figure out how to turn into a weekday-weekend-holiday-life warrior. At least I'm banking on it doing that for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!! I've been feeling like a really bad friend too! I've been meaning to send a long rambling email, and I will soon. xxx Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll keep an eye out for it, let me know how you like it.

      Delete